Friday, June 20, 2008

My new grill

Okay, so I've had my eye on this grill for the past 2 years or so, and I tended to make a point of looking at it when I would go to Menards or Lowes. Well, a month or so ago, we (the fam) made a trip to Menards for mulch, and I told Sara I just wanted to take a quick look at the grill.


She told me I should just buy it. I hesitated. She insisted. Said it could be an anniversary present, father's day present, and a party expense for our BBQ for Caleb's b-day. I lost the will-power to resist, lugged it, and the side fire box into 2 carts, and brought it home (after paying for it, of course).


I promised Sara I'd make a post about it, so here it is.


I'm loving it. It's my first charcoal grill, and it's a beauty. Huge cooking surface, barrel shape. But the real kicker is that side fire box that allows you to smoke, doing "real BBQ."


So far, I've done ribs, tips, chicken breasts, aspargus, potatoes, baked beans (they tend to fall through the cracks in the grill grate a lot), and burgers. This weekend, I'd like to try smoking a whole chicken (on the grill, that is).


So, if you are reading this and want to come over for some 'Q, please do...I'm still learning, so I don't make any promises, but I love to have an excuse to practice.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Dan:

I'm glad to see you're posting to your blog again! YEAH!! I thoroughly enjoyed the fine cuisine I had the last time I was at your crib! You really know how to bar-b-que! Great job! I can't wait to partake of more of your specialties. Maybe you could buy bigger beans to keep them from falling through the cracks in the grill?? Mom :)

Erica said...

One of my favorite things about summer is the grilling (I've actually never grilled anything myself), but I love eating anything that's been grilled! When should we come over?? just kidding :-) It sounds like everything has been delicious. I'm glad you got the grill you always wanted!

Anonymous said...

Great job with the grill. I'm still learning too, so we'll have to share recipes and tips. Hopefully, I'll be posting some of the recipes that we have enjoyed soon and I'd love to get yours.
Love ya,
Sandi

Jamie said...

Sara should feel very blessed to have a husband who is so adventerous with cooking!!

Jamie