Monday, July 23, 2007

Working together

This past weekend, I got a chance to mow the lawn for the first time since Caleb's been here. This was the first time that I've allowed Gabe to get his little bubble mower and to "help" me by mowing the lawn (and the driveway) while I was doing my part.

He had a great time and felt really proud; every time I stopped the mower for one reason or another, he'd say, "Ready, Daddy?"and when I started it up again, he'd go about his mowing.

It was a really enjoyable time and made me feel real proud watching Gabe imitate me. It's hard to explain how good it feels to me as a dad when my son wants to get involved in something I'm doing.

I wonder if that's how it is with God, that when we who are His children see Him at work (feeding the poor, reconciling people to Himself, loving people, etc.) and want to get involved in what He's doing , want to "help." I can't help but imagine that He delights at our feeble attempts to imitate Him, that He's fully aware of our own limitations, and that He's the one who's truly accomplishing the work, while simply allowing us to receive the blessing that comes from following Him.

1 comment:

Tim Wickstrom said...

Hey Bud,

I have read through your recent posts, they are absolutely amazing. I love hearing your very insightful perspective on being a father and a husband. Thank you. BTW we would love to drive down soon to meet Caleb!